Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Insert Expletive Here

First, a statistic: 1 in 4 people who go to stupid trampoline places are seriously injured*


Yesterday, the four of us were having a grand time at this lovely establishment:
When suddenly, the unthinkable occurred. As Scott and I were racing each other across the trampolines, his fat butt threw me off balance and I went flying head first into the divider between two trampolines-a wooden beam covered with a piece of carpet(perfectly safe, right?)
A flash of light, and I lay semi-coherent across the expanse of trampolines. My first thought was for my head- it seemed fine. Then my wrist began to throb. Apparently it also collided with the beam.
It's after 5, so we head to Instacare. After a cursory exam and some x-rays, the verdict:
Not broken.

What? It feels like it's about to fall off, I'm not exaggerating.
The doctor goes on to explain. Even though it's not broken, apparently the ligaments have torn. So it's just a really bad sprain.

But wait- you can't wear a brace because your wrist needs to be able to move in order for the ligaments to heal properly.
And oh yeah, you're going to be in excruciating pain for 2-3 weeks.

But wait, you can wear a wrap on it as long as your wrist isn't immobilized(what's the point?)

And don't lift anything heavy or make any repetitive motions with your hand because that can damage it even more(two year olds aren't too heavy right?)

And if it still hurts after a few weeks, you might have to have surgery to repair the ligaments. But don't worry about that.

Oh yeah, one more thing: Make sure to put ice on that GIANT goose egg on your head at least 3 times a day or you might be stuck looking like you have a golf ball sticking out of your forehead for the rest of your life.
Did I mention it's my right wrist? I'm practically crippled now.

At least everyone else had fun. To quote Bailee: "This is the best day of my life!"
PS- these pictures were taken AFTER "the incident". Apparently when I take pictures with my left hand they turn out blurry.



*statistic based purely on my own observations, which are almost always correct

5 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

I am so sorry to hear about your wrist. Does the universe not know that a mother is the glue to the whole family? I hope it gets better quickly.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I am still laughing about this. I'm glad you made a post for it. I wish you would put up a picture of your forehead...

Chuck and Holly said...

What a bummer!!! Although it does sound like alot of fun:) I hope your wrist gets better soon...

The Lenderman's said...

OUCH!!!I am so sorry that my brother is causing you so much pain. Hopefully he is being helpful to you so you don't injure it any worse.
It looks like the kids had fun though.

Wendy said...

Hope you feel better soon!!