Maybe I'm just superstitious because it's nearly Halloween. Maybe not. All I know is that something very mysterious is happening. First, the story:
Exactly 16 days ago, my kids and I were at the park. It was dusk, and I had just decided that it was time to go home. As I started across the parking lot with my kids in their little wagon, I remember that I was a little bit nervous because it was getting darker and darker and we had a 20 minute walk home. Out of nowhere, I was approached by a teenage girl, probably about sixteen or seventeen. She was dressed in baggy shorts and a tee shirt, which wasn't too unusual as we were right next to some soccer/baseball fields. There was no one else around-no teamates or coaches. The field was silent, which in itself was a little odd. She walked up to us and said hello. We talked for a moment and she commented on my cute kids, and asked them a few questions. Then she held out a single rose. "Please take this and have a nice day" she said. "Thank you, you too." I replied. She watched me as I walked away.
When I got home, I put the rose in some water and forgot about the encounter. Until a week later that is. As I was going about my daily duties, I happened to notice that the rose was not wilted or dying. There was still plenty of water in the vase, even though I had not added more water since it was given to me. I continued to watch every day for some sign that it was weakening, but it remained as perfect as the day it was given to me. And now as 16 days have passed with no change, I begin to wonder if there was more to this gift than I first realized.
Was this girl a spirit, haunting the fields where a terrible sports related tragedy occurred? Perhaps the rose was a gift from a grieving boyfriend, and it now lives on in memory of their love. She might be a benevolent witch, and the rose is meant to bring good luck and happiness to our home. Or a genie, ready to grant 3 wishes if I can only unlock the secrets of her gift. Or maybe it is something more sinister. Is it possible that she was murdered by a jealous teamate, and her body secretly buried in those fields, the scene of her triumphs? What if this rose carries a curse in retribution for the terrible crimes committed against her? There is no way of knowing, I can only watch and wait. If anyone out there can offer some advice on this matter, please let me know. Perhaps this has happened before.

9 comments:
Ace, this is really funny. I think she's a princess, stuck in an awkward teenager's body, and you have to unlock the keys to her curse...or something like that.
you're kind of wierd.
Ace- Are you sure the rose is real? a plastic rose will probably look good for another year or so. Just saying.
Candace,
Are you for real? I'm really gulible so I need to know...you're not serious...right? For some reason as I read this I thought of the novel that you and Robert wrote together a long time ago--haha funny. I hope that everything is going well. I'm glad that your blog is up and running again. I laughed my head off at Bailey sleeping with her pumpkin.
Everything has actually happened. The girl, the immortal rose- Freaky, huh?
Ok, so maybe she's not a witch, but you never know.
Candace, this is the greatest post I've ever read. It's inspired me to tell my own ghost story. Maybe the rose she gave you is a curse and its stays young by sucking the life out of you!!!
I remember you telling me about the girl who gave you a rose...weird
B.S.
Post a Comment